Presented by the Laurens County Historical Society, Dublin, Georgia. For questions and information, please contact Scott B. Thompson, Sr. at

Wednesday, April 29, 2009


Godspeed and Good Luck to the 148th

They are here to serve. They have always been here to serve. As the members of Company A, 148th Forward Support Battalion, 48th Georgia Brigade stationed in Dublin, Georgia, prepare to leave their homes and families to serve our state and our nation, let us took a look back at the history of the National Guard at its predecessors in our community at its long legacy which goes back more than two centuries.

Militia districts in every Georgia county were formed as a means of raising forces to combat Indian forays into our area. During the War of 1812 and the Indian Wars of 1818, each county furnished units to fight the British and unfriendly Indian forces in south Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Some of the same units were reorganized and saw action in the Indian wars of 1836 while others went to Texas to aid that Spanish colony’s war for Independence. After the Mexican War of the1840s, militia companies were primarily used for patrolling roads to insure that slaves were not escaping from their masters.

During the Civil War, militia units were no longer used and each county in Georgia formed their own companies as a part of the Georgia Volunteer Infantry. Laurens County furnished men to five different companies during the war. In the years after the war, militia companies were virtually non existent except in the larger cities of Macon and Savannah.

In 1890, Capt. L.Q. Stubbs led the formation of the Dublin Guards, which were a part of the 4th Georgia Volunteer Regiment. During the Spanish American war, the guards were part of the state troops. While they saw no action, they did train once a week in the old Leitch Stubbs Building on the corner of West Jackson and South Jefferson streets. By 1901, the Guards had disbanded because of lack of interest. The unit was reorganized in 1904 as the Laurens Volunteers. Two years later, their name was once again changed to The Dublin Rifles. After only one year, the Rifles were once again disbanded due to lack of need to protect the country from a foreign attack.

With the beginning of World War I, President Woodrow Wilson called for the
organization of home guard units across the state. During the war, some Laurens County men saw action, but not as a whole unit. On August 28, 1919, Capt. Cleveland Pope was appointed to command Co. A of the First Battalion of the Georgia National Guard, making the Dublin company the first National Guard unit to be organized in the southeast.

By 1921, HQ Co. and Co. K of the 121st Infantry was located in Dublin. The units remained here in Dublin until the beginning of World War II. Between the two wars, national guard units trained and were used sparingly and primarily for riot and strike duty in textile mills and to aid local police in apprehending criminals.

Nearly seventy years ago Europe had been engulfed in a year-long war. The United States, while attempting to maintain a policy of neutrality, began preparing for an eminent war with Germany. The effective troop strength of the U.S. Army had declined for decades. President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered the mobilization of the various National Guard units around the country in September of 1940. Roosevelt knew that when war came, the National Guardsmen would help form the nation’s first line of defense.

The people of Laurens County wanted to honor their young men for their military service. So, they gave the men barbecue suppers and free movie tickets. During World War II, the soldiers of the 121st were split into different units. Though many Laurens countians remained in the 121st, known as the Gray Bonnets, the Army did not want a local company to suffer horrific casualties like what had happened during the Civil War.

Fifty five years ago in 1954, a group of men gathered together to formally organize a new National Guard battalion in Dublin. The new unit, designated as the 286th Infantry (Heavy Mortar) Battalion, was a part of the 121st Infantry Battalion. On the evening of January 11, 1954, the battalion was federally recognized and ordered into service.

The original battalion trained with the ground-mounted 4.2 mortar. In November 1955, the battalion was renamed the 160th Tank Battalion. On July 9, 1957, the Guard moved into its new quarters, The Charles E. Stroberg Armory. The new armory was named in honor of Major Stroberg, who was the executive officer from 1954 until 1962. In 1959, the 160th Tank Battalion merged with the 121st Infantry Battalion and the 171st Infantry Battalion to form the 121st Infantry Regiment, the same regiment which was headquartered in Dublin in the days of World War I.

During the Vietnam War era, the National Guard went into storm damaged areas and were stationed to prevent riots after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King. Month after month and summer after summer, the guard was getting ready, just in case they were needed.

In the summer of 1990, President George Bush issued a directive to begin calling up national guard units across the country in preparation for the impending crisis in Iraq. Members of Headquarters and Headquarters Company in Dublin began preparations for deployment. The 121st Infantry was attached to the 48th Brigade, which was headquartered in Macon. Around New Year’s Day, one transport plane after another ferried the members of the guard, their equipment and 1100 vehicles to Fort Irwin in the Mojave Desert, where they were by sub-freezing temperatures. Although the Gulf War was quickly over, the members of the 48th were still training in California awaiting their call up for duty. The citizens of Dublin turned out to salute the local units in a parade unseen in Dublin since the days of World War II. It was an amazing sight. I looked out from my Calhoun Street home and saw American soldiers marching toward a picnic at Stubbs Park along the oak lined streets adorned with yellow ribbons.

In March of 2001, the 48th Brigade departed from Fort Stewart after a three month training period. Members of the local unit served in Camp Comanche, Dobol, and McGovern in Bosnia from April to October 2001. In the winter of 2004-2005, the local National Guard unit of the 48th Brigade mobilized for service in Iraq. Donning the first 21st Century Army uniforms, the local unit of the Georgia National Guard, went into foreign service in Iraq. Members of the company were featured in a series of articles in the Atlanta Constitution and a six-part documentary American Soldiers on Country Music Television.

Once again, the men and women of the 148th are leaving their homes, their families and the security of their own homes. They go to serve their nation and you. Pray for them daily. Thank God that they are willing to sacrifice their lives for yours. And, when they come home, welcome them back like the real heroes they are.

Sunday, April 26, 2009


Dedication of Historical Marker
Captain Hardy B. Smith House
Dublin, Georgia

On the afternoon of April 26, 2009, a historical marker was dedicated in the yard of the Captain Hardy B. Smith House on West Jackson Street in Dublin, Georgia. The two-sided embossed marker was sponsored by the Georgia Civil War Commission, The property is owned by John C. Hall, Jr., who purchased the property in October 2007 from the Capt. Hardy B. Smith House Restoration Committee, Inc., headed by its president David Moore. The western face of the marker, which features a full length likeness of Captain Smith, tells the biographical story of Laurens County's most public spirited citizens of the post Civil War era. The eastern face, which features a bust of Captain Smith, details the history of the home, which was built in the early 1870s and is Dublin's oldest home on its original site.

Among the forty people in attendance were David Moore, President of the Hardy B. Smith House Committee and the guidance force behind the saving and early restoration of the home. Also in attendance was Dublin resident, Rusty Henderson, who as a member of the Georgia Civil War Commission, aided in the acquistion of a grant to improve the historical home. Mary Jane Spivey was present to represent the U.D.C. and Scott Thompson was representing the Laurens County Historical Society.

Special guests were Lennard and Dennard Sanders, twin carpenters and World War II veterans, whose unmatchable carpentry talents contributed to the fine restoration of the old farm home. Rosa Chappell, great great granddaughter of Pvt. Bill Yopp, Co. H., 14th Georgia, was recognized for her great grandfather's outstanding contribution to the Blackshear Guards, once commanded by Captain Smith.

Steve Deal, a great great grandson of Capt. Smith, was present to represent the descendants of Captain Hardy Smith.









Wednesday, April 22, 2009


COMPANY A, 148TH Brigade Forward Support Battalion
48th Brigade, Georgia National Guard

On April 21, 2009, the citizens of Dublin and Laurens County turned out by the thousands to say a special goodbye and good luck to the members of the local company of the Georgia National Guard.

The members of the guard company, minus 60 men and women who have already left for training, marched through the streets of downtown Dublin to the Farmers Market where they were greeted by Dublin mayor, Phil Best, Laurens County Commission Chairman, D.M. Mullis, State Rep. Dubose Porter, State Senator Ross Tolleson and the Rev. Jack Key.

(All photos by Scott B. Thompson, Sr.)

Co. A, 148th Battalion
Foward Support Battalion,
48th Brigade,
Georgia National Guard

A patriot
salutes the guard.

Old sergeants lead the way.

Main Street parade.

Flag bearer, Company A.

Vietnam Vets and members
of the American Legion
supporting the guard.

Dublin mayor, Phil Best.

Sen. Ross Tolleson and Rep. Dubose Porter
present Georgia flag to Colonel Carter.

Brigadier General Maria Britt praises her troops.

Rev. Jack Key blesses the men
and women of Company A.

Monday, April 20, 2009


The Fight Over the Confederate Monument

You wouldn't exactly call it the "Battle of Gettysburg," but the fight over the location of Laurens County's monument to the Confederate soldiers of the country was none the less just as bitter. Though not a single drop of blood was spilled, many withdrew from the battle in the courtroom, wounded, or at least their pride was wounded.

Few doubted that the local soldiers of the Confederate army should be forever memorialized somewhere in the county seat of Dublin. The only questions were how elaborate should the monument be and where should it be located. The ornamentation would only be limited by the size of the budget. In those days there was no shortage of civic minded and philanthropic citizens, especially when it came to honoring the boys in gray, who were their fathers, fathers in law and grandfathers. There were still a few veterans themselves who had grown from mere boys during the war to very successful businessmen.

The owner of the Idle Hour restaurant was one of the first to sponsor a benefit for the monument. After nearly four years of planning, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Confederate Veterans signed a contract for the monument in the spring of 1908. The monument committee was led by J.A. Thomas. Thomas was a native of Dublin who was a teenage veteran of the war and later rose to the rank of Brigadier General as commander of the United Confederate Veterans in the 1920s. Other members of the committee were B.H. Rawls and W.W. Robinson. The contract with Cordele Marble Company called for the unveiling of the monument on Confederate Memorial Day in 1909. The committee decided to go with a smaller monument to cut the cost down to thirty five hundred dollars.

The monument committee, already hurting from the failure of the fund drive to materialize to unveil the monument on Confederate Memorial Day in 1908, began the construction of a concrete foundation in the center of the intersection of Jefferson Street and West Jackson Street. The county commissioners believed the more proper, and safer, site would be on the southwest corner of the courthouse square. Though the age of the automobile was just beginning, the commissioners knew that auto traffic would increase over the years. Some may have contemplated that the intersection would later become the intersection of two major Federal highways. The board appropriated one thousand dollars for the project if the monument was actually placed on the courthouse grounds and not out in the street.

At first, local veterans relented and agree to the move if the county was going to pay - an offer which would have pleased their wives and daughters and would have allowed the dedication in April. But when it became apparent that the county could not donate, the veterans of the Camp Hardy Smith took issue. The former soldiers hired attorney W.C. Davis to prepare papers to enjoin the relocation of what was their monument, believing it was they who fought and they who should have the right to determine its location. The veterans were waiting for anyone to move their monument before springing into action.

The pressure was on. City street crews were paving the streets around the center of the city with vitrified brick. The city council warned that if the foundation is moved before the paving force finishes work so that the plot of ground can be paved, that it will not be allowed to be moved. The monument had arrived, though the contracted payments had not yet been paid for. The ladies of the United Daughters of the Confederacy were getting anxious. They didn't want another Confederate Memorial Day to pass without a monument.

Meanwhile contractor I. C. Huffman was at work attempting to move the foundation from The intersection to the courthouse square. When it became apparent that the move could be made and somewhat easily, the veterans dispatched a courier to meet Judge Martin who was on the bench at Hawkinsville. Once the judge signed the interlocutory papers, another courier was standing by waiting to deliver it as rapidly as possible back to the courthouse. Once back in Dublin, the veterans were confident that Sheriff Flanders would personally serve them on Mr. Huffman and put a halt, albeit temporary, to the removal work.

Much to the consternation of the old Confederates, Judge Martin sent the technically defective papers back. Once the errors were corrected, they were resubmitted back to the judge in Hawkinsville. Huffman kept working and got the substructure out of the ground and began the processing of moving it the short distance to the square.

Judge John Martin, who was in town to grant charters to new corporations in the city, sided with the veterans and issued a restraining order prohibiting the county from moving the monument from its original site. Judge Martin reasoned that the commissioners could not legally donate to its establishment. Therefore, the commissioners would have no say so in the matter. The veterans, who preferred no monument at all to one on the courthouse square, cheered after winning the first round of the battle.

While the veterans were reveling in victory, the ladies of the UDC were making their own battle plans. A major offensive was set into action. Within a few weeks the fighting was over. How they did it and how many arms they had to twist or how many threats they had to make will never be known.

J.R. Broadhurst, chairman of the Street Committee of the City of Dublin, announced the compromised location. The committee voted not to place the monument in front of the courthouse. In fact, they moved it entirely out of the bounds of the street and decided to place the monument at the eastern apex of the triangle in front of the Carnegie Library, which was erected five years previously.

The unveiling was delayed until June 3 in celebration of Confederate President Jefferson Davis' birthday. The committee hoped to place it between a pyramid of stacked cannon balls and a fountain.

Another battle erupted. The sculptor and the committee couldn't come to terms on full payment. The parties agreed that until the monument was paid for, or at least to the satisfaction of the sculptor, the monument would remain on its site with a veil. Three years went by and finally on April 26, 1912, the monument was unveiled and those who gave their lives in defense of Georgia and the South would be forever memorialized.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009


The Martin Theater, 1960s.
Academy Avenue

The Shrimp Boat
Rice Avenue

The Dublin High School Band,
The Herald Trumpets
late 1960s.

DHS Homecoming Parade, mid 1960s. 10th Grade Representative was Cassie Yates, who left Dublin to become a star of movies and television.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009


Julian Robert Lindsey believed if you gave him a division of horse soldiers, he could whip any enemy at any time on any battlefield. He once quipped that Pearl Harbor would have never happened had the cavalry been there. General Lindsey believed that if there were horses there, everyone would have been feeding them and the horrific damage inflicted by Japanese pilots would have never occurred. During his forty-six year military career, General Lindsey served in a variety of positions from instructor to the first commander of the 1st Armored Division.

Julian Lindsey was born in Irwinton, Georgia in 1871. His father John W. Lindsey, an Irwinton attorney, was appointed the Georgia Commissioner of Pensions in the late 1890s. At the age of seventeen, Lindsey entered the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Four years later, he graduated with honors and received his commission as a second lieutenant in the 9th Cavalry. His first stint as a cavalry officer was shortened when his former instructors at West Point invited him to return back to the academy as an instructor of tactics, a position he received because of his superior knowledge of military tactics. He held the position four nearly four years.

In 1898, Georgia governor Atkinson appointed Lindsey as Adjutant General of Georgia, a post which Lt. Lindsey had greatly desired to obtain. Lindsey left Georgia for the second time to take a position on the staff of Gen. Adna Chaffee It was in the summer of 1900, when the Boxer Rebellion erupted in China. General Chaffee and his staff were sent to China to command United States forces known as the China Relief Expedition. Chaffee’s forces led the advance toward the capital of Beijing, which was captured on August 14, 1900.

In the spring of 1904, Julian Lindsey married Hannah Broster, a native of Canada. During the birth of their son, Julian Robert Linsdey, Jr., in 1905, Hannah tragically died. Julian never remarried.

After a respite of fourteen years, Lindsey returned to West Point as a Senior Cavalry Instructor. Always a horseman, Julian Lindsey believed that the Academy would be vastly improved with the addition of a polo team. So in 1916, Col. Lindsey established the first polo team at "The Point." In his day, Lindsey’s skills as a polo player and coach were unequaled by any other officer in the Army. His knowledge of the sport was so highly regarded that he was requested to write a book on the subject.

But once again, Lindsey’s skills were needed elsewhere. He was assigned to duty along the Mexican border in 1916 and 1917 under the command of General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing. He became well acquainted with one of General Pershing’s young staff officers, the future general and World War II icon, General George S. Patton.

After his return from Texas, Lindsey was assigned to the 11th Cavalry at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. When it became apparent that the United States was going to enter World War I, Lindsey was given command of a regiment at Camp Gordon in Atlanta. In 1917, the regiments at Fort Gordon formed the 82nd Infantry Division, which is now known as the famed 82nd Airborne Division.

When the war began, Lieutenant Colonel Lindsey was promoted to Brigadier General Lindsey and given command of the 164th Infantry Brigade, upon the recommendation of his old friend, General Pershing.

Writers of the day proclaimed that no brigade had more greater victories or suffered greater losses than the 164th, which saw vicious and deadly trench to trench and hand to hand battles in France during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. For his outstanding leadership in a brilliant and successful attack in the Argonne Forest, General Lindsey was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal.

On October 8, 1918, Lindsey witnessed one of the most remarkable single events of World War I and possibly of all American wars. One of his soldiers in Company G of 328th Regiment set out on patrol. Of the sixteen soldiers under the sergeant’s command, ten were shot down by German machine guns. The remaining six were pinned down by heavy fire. The sergeant grabbed his trusty rifle and began to shoot his enemies one by one just like he shot turkeys back home until twenty were dead. The Germans charged the sergeant when his rifle was empty. But the young man from Tennessee pulled out his .45 pistol and shot seven shots each killing an enemy soldier. Convinced that they had encountered a superior force, the Germans surrendered to the sole American soldier.

The event was recreated in a 1941 movie starring Gary Cooper. In one humorous scene, Cooper is escorting his prisoners back to the command post. He encounters a field officer who tells him to keep them under guard for a little while longer. When the officer turns around, he is astonished to see that the soldier has not just captured a few prisoners, but nearly a whole company.

In real life, General Lindsey was awaiting battle field reports, when Alvin York, arguably the most famous enlisted soldier in World War I, walked into the Division Headquarters. "Well York," the general said, "I hear you have captured the whole German army." "No sir, I only got 132," York replied.

After the war, General Lindsey was returned to the rank of Colonel and served at various posts around the country until 1932. In one of his last assignments, Brigadier General Lindsey was given command of a new unit. The United States Army had gotten rid of its horses. The old cavalry soldiers were re-assigned to new units, known as the Mechanized Cavalry, which rode in tanks instead of on horseback. Linsdey was the first general to command the 1st Cavalry Brigade, which later became the 1st Armored Division.

After nearly five decades of service to his country, General Julian Lindsey retired from the Army and lived in Washington, D.C. After suffering a heart attack, General Lindsey died at Walter Reed Hospital on June 27, 1948. His body was buried with full military honors at the cemetery at West Point, his second home and where he rose to prominence as one of the U.S. Army’s most promising young officers.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009


Augustus Johnson House (on Ga. Hwy 86) about the five mile marker.

Tom Wilkes Turpentine Still, Flatrock, Ga. (south of Minter on Georgia Hwy 29)

Boiling Springs Methodist Church, ca. 1852, the oldest wooden church in the South Georgia Conference.

First National Bank Building 200 Block, South Jefferson St.
Dublin, GA

Completed 1913.

"The tallest building between Macon and Savannah."

Tuesday, April 07, 2009


Harry Wendelstedt

John Kibler

Cal Drummond

Russ Goetz

The Umpires of Lovett Park

For two small, somewhat unrespected leagues, the Georgia State League (1948-1956) and the Georgia-Florida League (1957-1963) produced four outstanding major league umpires. Two of them are listed among the greatest umpires in major league baseball’s history. This is the story of four men. Damned and cursed by players and fans of both teams wherever they played, these men in their dark suits and small-billed caps were and are deserving of the title, Mr. Blue.

During most of the years when minor league baseball was played in Dublin from 1949 through 1956 and in 1958 and 1962, many of the umpires of the Georgia State and Georgia-Florida leagues lived in Dublin, calling games here in Lovett Park and around South Georgia.

Calvin “Cal” Drummond was born in 96th District of South Carolina on June 29, 1917. At the age of thirty one, Cal began calling professional games in the Alabama State League. After a three year absence from the game, Cal resumed his career in the Georgia State League. In the years of 1952 and 1953, Drummond called games between Dublin, Sandersville, Eastman Statesboro, Vidalia, Hazelhurst, Baxley, Douglas, Fitzgerald and Jessup.

Drummond’s outstanding work earned him a promotion to the South Atlantic League, where he called games from 1954 to 1956. Another promotion came in 1957, when he was hired to work games in the prestigious Class AAA International League. Drummond’s major league career spanned the entire decade of the 1960s.

The highlight of Cal’s career came in 1966, when he umpired the World Series, which was played between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles. In 1961, just in his second year in the league, Cal was named to call the All Star game, which was played in San Francisco. In one of the more unusual calls in baseball history, Drummond’s crew was faced with an unusual dilemma. It seems the Candlestick Park winds were unusually strong that day. When Giant pitcher Stu Miller was blown of the pitching rubber by a gust of wind, someone yelled “balk.” The umpires conferred and indeed ruled that Miller’s unusual move, though unintentional, was deceiving to the runner. The call played no outcome in the game because the National League went on to win the game and Miller was named the game’s winning pitcher.

In 1969, Drummond was struck in the head by a ball. After extensive brain surgery, Cal fell into a coma for two weeks. He worked his way back to health during spring training. On May 2, while calling a game between the Iowa Cubs and Oklahoma City 89ers, Drummond took himself out the game when he felt dizzy. He returned to work the next day, hoping to make it back to the American League the next afternoon. By the end of the 7th inning, Cal felt dizzy again. He walked to the dugout, collapsed, and died a few hours later in a Des Moines hospital. Though he had not made it back to the majors, Drummond became one of the rare fatalities among big league umpires.

Russell Goetz, a 25-year-old native of Pennsylvania, joined the Georgia State League in 1955. Russ called games until the end of the league in1956. He spend two years in the Carolina League, three years in the South Atlantic League, and six years in the Pacific Coast League. In 1968, Goetz joined the umpiring crews of the American League, in which he officiated some sixteen years until he retired in 1983.

Goetz was named to the umpiring crews for the 1970 and 1975 All Star games. His career highlights came in 1973 and in 1979 when he was named to the six-man crew calling the World Series.

John Kibler debuted as a 30-year-old rookie umpire in 1958 in the Georgia-Florida League. During that season, Kibler had at least one run-in with one of the game’s greatest antagonists of umpires, Earl Weaver. Weaver played second base and managed the Dublin Orioles in their only year of existence. Kibler quickly climbed the latter from Class D minor league baseball to the major leagues. Kibler told a SI reporter of those days, “The environs were decidedly unfriendly to outstiders and the league president forbade the umpires to travel at night. I got $250 to $285 a month and one free lunch at a Tifton cafĂ© once a week.

After a year in the Pioneer Association and two years in the South Atlantic League, Kibler made it to AAA ball with the American Association in 1962 and the International League in 1963. John made the show in the fall of 1963 when he was called up to the major leagues. For the next twenty five seasons, John Kibler, was known as one the National’s best umpires.

Kibler was named to call the World Series championship four times in 1971, 1978, 1982 and the infamous 1986 series when Bill Buckner’s boot of a ground ball giving the Met’s a surprising victory allowing them to stave off defeat, tie the series and go on to win in the decisive 7th game. John Kibler was named to call the 1965 All Star game in Minneapolis in just his second full season in the majors. Kibler went on to call the 1974, 1980 and 1985 all star games.

In 1983, John Kibler suffered a heart attack at the age of fifty-five. But the New York native was not about to quit. He returned the game. In 1989, Kibler retired as the game’s oldest umpire.

Harry Wendelstedt, at 23, was the youngest of Lovett’s Park major league umpires when he began calling games in 1962, the last year Dublin had a minor league ball team, the Dublin Braves, in the Georgia Florida League. The league had teams in Brunswick, Thomasville, Albany, and Moultrie. After a single season in Northwest and Texas Leagues, Harry went to the AAA International League in 1965. After three seasons of minor league ball, Harry Wendlestedt was promoted to the National League.

During his twenty-three-year hall of fame like career, Harry umpired the World Series in 1973, 1980, 1986, 1991 and 1995. In 1980 and 1985, he was named chief of the crew, the penultimate honor for any baseball umpire. Seven times from 1970 to 1990, Harry was chosen to call the National League Championship games. He called four all star games in 1968, 1976, 1983, and 1992. In the 1986 World Series, Harry Wendlestedt and John Kibler became the only Lovett Park umpires to jointly call a World Series or All Star game. Harry retired at the top of his game in 1998.

If you have never umpired a baseball game, or any game for that matter, you can never appreciate the thankless life of an umpire. I did it once and it changed my mind at the way I look at baseball. They don’t always make the right call, but never the less, it is the call, except when.....

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Pictures of the Week

Grave of Pvt. Bill Yopp, Co. H, 14th Ga. Infantry, C.S.A., National Cemetery, Marietta, Georgia. Confederate Section.

Charlie Pittman, author of "Ten Cent Bill," with the original battle flag of the 14th Ga. Infantry, Georgia State Capitol.

Presentation of Proclamation of Confederate Memorial Day, 2008.

Portrait of Gov. George M. Troup, Georgia Capitol