Presented by the Laurens County Historical Society, Dublin, Georgia. For questions and information, please contact Scott B. Thompson, Sr. at dublinhistory@yahoo.com.

Friday, February 13, 2009

MARVIN CHURCH, BUCKEYE, GEORGIA


INFORMATION ABOUT MARVIN CHURCH

In January 1866, Pro Gustavas Adolfus Holcomb from Riddleville, Ga. opened a school at what is known as the W.O. Prescott place on the Dublin and Sandersville Road. On the opening day for the school 67 pupils were enrolled.

The school house was a small one room log house about 18 x 20 feet which was not large enough to accommodate 67 pupils. The patrons seeing the predicament they were in hurriedly erected a large shelter 40x50 feet. This shelter rested upon heart pine post let to the ground and extending up ten feet. A pine board floor of rough planks resting on logs laid on the ground which put the ___ wall above the ground. The cover was of five foot board made from pine trees and nailed on small pine poles which were used for laths(?). The boards were nailed on with nails made in the local blacksmith shop and generally known as _ought nails. One end of the shelter was boarded up entirely and the others were left open except about three feet around the three sides at the bottom, which gave an appearance of an enclosure.

There was no provision for heating on cold days. A large fire was kindled in the yard nearby and a few benches moved out for girls and the boys to stand around the fire to keep warm. Among the male pupils was about 20 young men form 17 to 22 years most of whom has served in the Confederate war and had had no opportunity for school advantages during the four year period of the war. The large boys were allowed to spend their study periods out in the yard where they enjoyed the warm sunshine on cold days and the shade during summer.

In 1867, Conference sent Rev. J.M. Morgan from Guyton, Ga. as pastor of the Dublin Circuit. , which was at that time composed of Dublin, Gethsemane, Boiling Springs and a small church about one mile north of Lovett, known as “Gopher Hill,” taking its name from the fact that gophers had chosen this sand hill for easy igging of their holes.

The Holcomb School shelter was not included in the Dublin Circuit at that time. Rev. Morgan by giving an evening apportionment made good to the Shelter, as it was generally known, and appointment every third Sunday in the month. Rev. Tom Harris, a Christian minister from Sandersville, had an evening appointment for nearly every fourth Sunday. Rev. F.W. Flanders also filled engagements at “The Shelter” when and ______ occurred. This plan of filling engagements at “The Shelter” continued until 1876 when Rev. H.M. Williams then quite a young man full of energy and determination was sent to the Dublin Circuit.

The building of the Methodist Church at the “Shelter” site had been agitated at intervals for several years. At one time during Rev. Morgan’s ministry of four ears, twelve hundred dollars was subscribed and Col. John M. Stubbs then a young lawyer living at Tucker’s Cross Roads was instructed to draw plans and make stimates of the cost. He drew a beautiful plan with a tall steeple and estimated the cost at five thousand dollars. This amount seemed so large to many of the citizens until it was like sealing the whole enterprise in ice waters to _______ until 1876. When Rev. Williams worked up new interest and called a meeting of the public and money enough to pay for framing and weather boarding was subscribed and a new site one mile south from the Shelter was chosen as a more desirable location at a meeting at the old “Shelter.” Rev. Williams decided it was best to organize a church. The organization was completed with sixteen names as charter members of the new church. As the ____ members. They were: Elijah F. Blackshear, Mrs. Elijah F. Blackshear, William H. Walker, Mrs. William H. Walker, Kinchen H. Walker, Richard A. Kellam, Mrs. Temperance Kellam, Miss Addie F. Kellam, Winfield B. Smith, Alfred A. Morgan, Laura M. Smith, Mrs. Polly Garnto, Mrs. Rebecca Davis, Mrs. I.M. Blackshear, David S. Blackshear, Mrs. Susan Mason and Mrs. Winifred Mason.

The first board of Stewards was Kinchen H. Walker, Richard A. Kellam, W.B. Smith and David S. Blackshear. After completing the organization of the new church, it was in order to give it a name. All persons were asked to suggest names: Evergeen, Olivet, Guyton (as Joseph M. Guyton and Col. C.S. Guyton had given the land for the site). One old gentleman in the back of the church who was not a member of any church rose and suggested the name of “Luck and Trouble.” Rev. Williams asked why he suggested that name he supplied because they were lucky to get it so far and trouble to get it further. Rev. Williams proposed the name of “Marvin” in honor of Bishop Marvin. Rev. Williams’s suggestion seemed most popular and the new church was given the name of “Marvin.”

Lumber was immediately furnished from Robert H. Hightower’s mill. The great grandfather of Robert H. now residing in Dublin. The lumber was to be hauled from the mill 16 miles away in Johnson County. T.J. Blackshear with a three-yoke team of oxen did the hauling as a part of his matching contribution.

Work began at once with Mr. D.S. Blackshear as director with any volunteer labor who came. The church was framed, weather boarded and covered and with no delay and a floor. It remained in a unfinished condition for quite a while and D.S. Blackshear was finally hired to complete the church about 1874 (?) During the time the church as being furnished and ruing the periods work was not progressing, regular services ere being conducted at “The Shelter by regular pastors assigned to Marvin Church. The “Old Shelter” be referred to as forge upon which a spring board to the building of a new church.

After the organizing of Marvin Church, the membership increased until the day of opening the new church A large enrollment of members were present. The church was not dedicated until 1885. Dr. J.O.H. Clark preached the dedication sermon. George C. Thompson was Pastor at that time. The following preachers filled the pulpit at intervals. Rev. A.M. Williams, Rev. F.W. Flanders, Rev. Hudson, Rev. Powell, Rev. Hearn. Rev. H.A. Hodges, Rev. Joseph Carr and Rev. G.M. Prescott, a local preacher.



Written by T.J. Blackshear, son of David S. Blackshear, circa 1900-1920.

No comments: