A QUARTER OF A MILLION VIEWS AND COUNTING

A great big thank you to all of you who have read my blog over the last six years and eight months.  Just a minute ago on August 11, 2015 that number reached 250,000 on my Pieces of Our Past blog while the total number for all of my blogs exceeds 600,000.  

You don't know how much it means to me for you to take the time to read my stories of who we were, what we did, why we did it and where and we did what we did.

I try to write about stories of the triumph of the human spirit.

I write to teach you and me about our past, our present and our future.


I write to make you cry, to make you laugh and make you wonder why?


I write to make you say wow!   To make you saw that's wonderful or how cool  is that?


I write to make you think and wonder why not?


I write to remind all of us what was once and is still good about our community and America.

Realizing that I am prejudiced about the people of Laurens County, Georgia and the good folks of the counties which surround us, I will nevertheless put our people above all others in our state in the number, range and scope of the accomplishments, acts of heroism, and triumphs which our people in our area.  

Charles Kuralt, my journalistic hero sums up best the way I feel about writing and the people I write about and the new friends I meet. 

“Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.”

“To read the papers and to listen to the news... one would think the country is in terrible trouble. You do not get that impression when you travel the back roads and the small towns do care about their country and wish it well.”

“The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”

“It does no harm just once in a while to acknowledge that the whole country isn't in flames, that there are people in the country besides politicians, entertainers, and criminals.”

"There are a lot people who are doing wonderful things, quietly, with no motive of greed, or hostility toward other people, or delusions of superiority."


"I think all those people I did stories on measured their own success by the joy their work was giving them."


"I would love to write something that people would still read 50 or 100 years from now.  That comes with growing older, I think."


"I could tell you which writer's rhythms I am imitating. It's not exactly plagiarism, it's falling in love with good language and trying to imitate it."


"I believe that writing is derivative, I think good writing comes from good reading." 


"The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege." 

Comments