The City of Dublin will re-dedicate the ’Cross The Creek Cemetery this Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p .m. The city cemetery for African Americans has been virtually abandoned for the last half century. Through a city wide effort, the 109-old-year-old cemetery has been stabilized and put back into a good condition.
The City of Dublin purchased the tract, which currently lies behind the city’s water treatment plant on Parker’s Dairy Road, in 1906 when the city cemetery in the Scottsville neighborhood became overcrowded. Burials for African Americans began in 1906. The cemetery was the primary cemetery until H.H. Dudley established his private cemetery just down the street in the early 1930s.
The last known burial was conducted in 1965. Since then, the cemetery was virtually abandoned except for the periodic mowing by the city under the direction of Sexton Billy Mason.
During the city’s bicentennial, the location of the cemetery was communicated to Councilwoman Julie Driger, by Scott Thompson, then President of the Laurens County Historical Society. Driger began to organize volunteers to start the process to re-establish the cemetery to a condition worthy for those who rest there.
The joint effort has been composed of current and former council members, Julie Driger, Phil Thacker, Curtis Edwards and Gerald Smith, as well as county commissioner Roscoe Brewer and city manager Lance Jones. Members of the City Wide Mission, a coalition of local churches, along with Historical Society members, Billy Beacham, Loree Beacham and Scott Thompson have contributed to the project. City engineer, Royce Hall, helped to supervise the construction of the project, including a handsome sign, flag pole, a newly paved road and parking area, and a sign which will
list the known persons buried in the cemetery. In the near future, a history of the cemetery will be
placed on the marker.
The flag and flag pole at the entrance were donated by the members of the Dublin Exchange Club.
The re-dedication/ribbon cutting ceremony will begin at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 1, 2015 at the cemetery located on Parker’s Dairy Road. The entrance is located by the flag pole and sign just north of the water treatment plant. The public is invited to attend the event, free of charge.
A tour of the cemetery will be available at the conclusion of the ceremony.