THE STEPHENS BUILDING
210 W. Jackson St.
Built ca. 1912 by William F. Schaufele for
his department store. Served as the site for the Rose Theater
in 1931. Later became Shuman's Market. In 1945, the building was rennovated
by R.L. and Gritsie Stephens as their exclusive
women's dress store, which would include a shoe department, fur vault, hat department,
and the top of the line dresses and accessories. The interior was designed after
New York department stores and features a winding stair case which was the focal point
for fashion shows and beauty contests.
In the early 1960s, the building became Laverne's Department Store. In the 1970s, it was
occupied by Laurens Hardware Company and Quality (Deese) Appliance.
The Stephens building was renovated in 1985 by H. Dale Thompson and Scott B. Thompson
as their law offices. Most of the remain architectural features were retained.
During the next 31 years, the building would house the offices of Judge Samuel Hilburn, Mitch Warnock, Eric Jones, Lance Jones, District Attorney Craig Fraser, Jule Greene and
The Bank of Dudley purchased the building in February 2016 and will once again renovate
the building as a part of a major expansion project.