IMAGES OF OUR PAST - HENRY BUILDING, WEST JACKSON STREET & NORTH JEFFERSON STREET, DUBLIN, GEORGIA 1914
This landmark corner building was named for its builder river boat captain, Robert C. Henry. Captain Henry was also the namesake of the church he helped to found, Henry Memorial Church, originally located two blocks to the northwest on Jefferson Street on the current site of Jefferson Street Baptist Church. The corner of the first floor housed Henry's bank, the Dublin Banking Company. Dublin's first Piggly Wiggly store was located on the far left front of the first floor. The upstairs offices were used for a variety of purposes for a telephone exchange, fraternal organization lodges, and the first office of Curry Realtors in 1902. Pierce & Orr was a popular grocery store in the building in the 1930s and 1940s. It was replaced by Belk Matthews in the early 1950s. Today, the building is vacant and is need of a loving and respectful tenant.