IMAGES OF OUR PAST - NEW BASEBALL COACH AT DUBLIN HIGH AND FORMER DUBLIN HIGH STAR BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL PLAYER AS A PLAYER-MANAGER OF THE SECOND MACON PEACHES BASEBALL TEAM. HOGAN TOOK OVER AS MANAGER OF FLOUNDERING TEAM TO BECOME A CONTENDER BY THE END OF THE SEASON - 2003. PHOTOS BY SCOTT B. THOMPSON, SR.




Hogan leaves playing days behind to coach Peaches

By KELLY CALDWELL,  Dublin Courier Herald.

Less than 10 years ago, Todd Hogan had his baseball future in front of him and it looked very promising. He signed a contract with the St. Louis Cardinals after finishing a two-year run at Middle Georgia College which included a junior college world title.

But injuries plagued his professional career and he was released from the St. Louis Cardinals organization in 2000.

Three years later, Hogan has his baseball future in front of him once again, but this time there is a twist. Instead of taking instruction as a player, he is instructing the players as the head coach for the Macon Peaches.

Derrick Chatman, general manager of the Peaches, pushed for Hogan to be named interim coach of the team when the position became available two weeks ago.

"I have known of Todd and his family for years," Chatman said. "We both graduated from Dublin High School, and I know the values of the high school training that gets you to the pros.

"Todd has all of those values and he will bring the hard work and discipline to this team that has been missing in the past," he said.

Hogan started the season as a player, but injuries took its toll once again.

My legs started bothering me and I kept getting injured when they came up to me and asked if I would be interested in the manager's job I could not refuse it. My body is just not what it was when I was 18 years old. It was not fair to the team for me to take a spot on the roster when they would give me this great opportunity. "

Hogan has already dealt with some of the darker side of being on the other side of the business.

"A few minutes after I got the job, I had to release a player," Hogan said. "That was tough, but all of these guys know that this is a business."

Hogan realizes that the best players will not in Macon very long.

"This is a stepping stone for the major leagues," he said. "I want to get these guys in the best physical condition so they can play their best and there are scouts in the stands."

The Peaches are affiliated with the Southeastern Professional Baseball League have been in existence for less than a year.

"The good thing about all of this is that everyone is new," Chatman said. "We can make a few mistakes and it will still be OK.

"I have a lot of confidence in Todd to do a good job," he said. "He was a real leader in the clubhouse when he was a player and I am really excited about him being the coach.

P.S. 

Hogan batted .313 that season in limited play.  Also playing for the Macon Peaches that season was former Dublin catcher, Will Foskey.  

Comments