Presented by the Laurens County Historical Society, Dublin, Georgia. For questions and information, please contact Scott B. Thompson, Sr. at

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Tuesday, March 29, 2016


The Queen of Southern Cooking

Long before there was a Betty Crocker (actually she was a fictional person), Julia Child or Paula Deen (of Lady and Sons fame), there was Henrietta Stanley (Mrs. S.R.) Dull.  Trained in the art of true southern cooking by former slaves and forced into cooking as profession to support her family, Mrs. Dull was considered by the people of her day as the consummate Southern cook.  Her 1928 cook book “Southern Cooking” is still defined by current culinary connoisseurs as the Bible of southern cooking.

Henrietta Celeste Stanley was born on her family’s plantation near Chappell’s Mill in Laurens County, Georgia on December 6, 1863.  Her parents were Eli Stanley and Mary Brazeal. On her father’s side, Miss Stanley boasted a fine pedigree which included three colonial governors.  On her mother’s side of her family, she descended from Solomon Wood, who took an active part in exposing the Yazoo Fraud of 1795.

It was during her early years when she observed the Negro cooks who provided the daily meals for the Stanley family.    Born into a wealthy family which had the luxury of a variety of foods, Henrietta was said to have made a hobby of trying each dish she ever heard of by duplicating it from memory.    In her youth, the women of the house were charged with preparing three meals of day.    Leftovers
were discarded or fed to pets and there was no such thing as refrigeration.   The ladies had to prepare many of the basic ingredients and condiments which we enjoy straight out of a box, jar or can today.  Henrietta and her family moved to Flowery Branch,  Georgia, where her father worked as a railroad station master.  At the age of 23, Henrietta married Samuel Rice Dull of Virginia.  The Dulls became the parents of six children.

After a decade of marriage, Mr. Dull began to suffer from mental illnesses. Mrs. Dull found herself in a seemingly overwhelming dilemma.   Forced into supporting her children and her ailing husband, Mrs. Dull did the only thing she knew how to do, and that was to cook.    Preparing cakes and sandwiches at first for the ladies of her church, Mrs. Dull soon began to sell a large variety of prepared foods out of her home.  What started as a way of making ends meet eventually became a successful and profitable venture. Widespread praises led to invitations to plan parties throughout the social circles.

The owners of Atlanta Gas Light Company invited Mrs. Dull to initiate a program of home service to promote the sale and proper use of gas stoves.   She always compared a gas range to a husband by proclaiming “ you couldn’t get the best out of either until you learn how to manage them.” Though the theory of home service had been unsuccessful on previous occasions, Mrs. Dull rose to the occasion and championed the program.   During this time, Mrs. Dull was chosen to head the Home Economics Department at Bessie Tift College in Forsyth, Georgia.  She lent her expertise to establish and develop a Domestic Science Department at Girl’s High School of Atlanta and later a department for its night school.

During World War I, Henrietta Dull served as a hostess in the Soldier’s Recreation House on Peachtree Street.  Affectionately known as “Mother Dull,” she was a mother and cook to more than fifty thousand dough boys.  Two of her sons, Samuel Rice Dull, Jr. and Ira Cornelius Dull, enlisted in the army.   Mrs. Dull believed it was her duty to comfort the boys and young men stationed at nearby
Camp Gordon in hopes that some Christian mother would do the same for her boys, wherever they may be stationed.

Her success at Atlanta Gas Light led to an offer from the editors of the Sunday Atlanta Journal Magazine to write and edit the Home Economics page of the magazine section.  As with all of her previous efforts, Mrs. Dull became an instant success.  Her recipes were found in kitchens throughout Georgia.  Her cooking expertise soon spread throughout the South and led to invitations to make cooking demonstrations and conduct cooking schools as far north as Delaware.  It has been said that she was the pioneer of cooking schools in the South.  Requests for copies of her recipes led Mrs. Dull to contemplate compiling her recipes into a comprehensive guide to Southern cooking.

Mrs. Dull’s landmark work with its thirteen hundred recipes was simply titled “Southern Cooking.” The 400-page book, which has sold more than a quarter of a million copies, was designed to be a practical guide to preparing dishes with items which were readily available in local groceries.   “Not once in the whole book will you discover that I had called for the use of an ingredient that any southern housewife can’t get by calling up the grocer,” Mrs. Dull said.    Mrs. Dull’s book emphasized the need for making cooking simple with easy to follow directions with exact measurements and cooking times.  In her youth, few recipes were put in writing. Directions were often passed by word of mouth and the amount of ingredients were expressed in pinches, dabs and plenty.  “Southern Cooking” also features chapters on sample menus, including seasonal and formal selections, as well as chapters on food selection, table service and kitchen equipment.   Thirty five years after her book was published, Mrs. Dull was horrified to discover that she omitted a recipe for that staple of Southern cooking, collard greens.  Mrs. Dull’s book, which was dedicated to her friends, the women of Atlanta and the South,  was sold throughout the United States and seven different countries.   It is still a popular selection in old book stores and EBay.

Mrs. Dull recalled a time when as a child she bribed the cook to allow her to make some corn pone.  For the rest of her life cornbread was still her favorite food (and mine too.)  “You can make it thick, ... thin...  with lacy edges that get deliciously brown. Oh, I do love corn bread!  I suppose I just love cooking,” Mrs.  Dull said. Mrs. Dull didn’t even mind washing dishes because she figured out that washing them in cold water with little soap prevented “dish pan” hands.   Among her best tasting dishes were her angel food cakes, called “archangel cakes” to distinguish them from the run of the mill cakes.

After 20 years with the Atlanta Journal, Mrs. Dull retired in 1938.   That same year she was listed as one of the twelve most famous women in Georgia.  But she wasn’t through cooking.  For another twenty years and well into her nineties, Mrs. Dull enjoyed cooking for friends and family in times of celebration and in times of grieving. Henrietta Stanley Dull died on January 28, 1964 at the age of one hundred years.  Her life was described as one of unselfish service and outstanding achievements.  Her sweet disposition and charm endeared her to everyone with whom she came in contact.

She is buried in Westview Cemetery in Atlanta.  


Monday, March 28, 2016


Cotton times in Dublin in the 1950s.  
Site of the Georgia Warehouse and Compress Company 
1890s to 1920s.
South Franklin Street, across from the Madison Street Post Office

Sunday, March 27, 2016



Georgia’s Lawyer

 From the mid 1940s through the mid 1960s, Eugene "Gene" Cook served as the Attorney General of the State of Georgia. His twenty years as Georgia’s lawyer exceeds all of the terms of his predecessors and successors.  As the Attorney General, Cook was called upon to advise the governor and the legislature on many of the divisive issues in Georgia’s history.

Julian Eugene Cook was born on April 12, 1904 in Wrightsville, Georgia.  The son of James Monroe Cook and Ida Preston, Gene attended the public schools of Wrightsville.  He entered Mercer University in Macon, where he was the editor of the school annual, the Mercerian. While at Mercer, he was President of the Junior class and a member of the Phi Kappa and Blue Key honorary societies. Following his graduation, Cook was accepted into the university’s law school, from which he graduated in 1927 with first honors.

Eugene Cook returned to his native Wrightsville, where he entered the practice of law.   In 1932, he was easily elected over William Pope as Solicitor of the City Court of Wrightsville.  As solicitor, Cook prosecuted misdemeanor cases in what was actually a state court.    After serving a four-year term as solicitor, Cook served a four year term as Judge of the City Court of Wrightsville.

Gene Cook launched a campaign for the post of Solicitor General of the Superior Court of the Dublin Judicial Circuit. After easily defeating W.W. Larsen, Jr. in the Democratic primary in 1940,   Cook took office on New Year’s Day in 1941. Since the seat of the circuit was in Dublin, Cook moved to his new home on Woodrow Street.    During the first two years of World War II,   Cook prosecuted cases in Laurens, Johnson, Treutlen and Twiggs counties.  On February 18, 1943, Cook took office as the Revenue Commissioner of Georgia under an appointment from Gov. Ellis Arnall following a reorganization of the department.

Eugene Cook had withdrawn from the 1942 Attorney General’s race but realized his dream of becoming the top lawyer in Georgia, when on March 18, 1945, he was appointed to the post by Gov. Arnall.  Attorney General Cook found himself mired in the middle of one of Georgia’s most explosive political controversies.  The iconic Georgia governor Eugene Talmadge was elected to the office of Governor in the 1946 general election, but died before he could take office.  Three men claimed the right to hold the vacant office of governor.  Ellis Arnall, the retiring governor, claimed that he should remain in office until a new election could be held.  M.E. Thompson, the victor in the race for Lieutenant Governor, claimed that since the office of the governor was vacant, he was the rightful holder of the office.    Gov. Talmadge’s son Herman claimed that it was his inherent right to succeed his father in office.  As the state’s legal advisor, Cook was called upon to render an opinion as to whom should be governor.  He ruled in favor of Arnall, who had appointed him to the post nearly two years earlier.  After weeks of debate in the halls of the legislature, newspapers throughout the state and at the bench of the Supreme Court of Georgia, M.E. Thompson was declared to be the rightful occupant of the position as governor.  Though Cook and Talmadge were bitter enemies at the time, they later became good friends until Cook’s death.

The most electrifying legal issue of the 1950s was the desegregation of public schools in the South. Though he led the fight to eliminate the KKK in Georgia, Cook, a self described political moderate, was a fierce opponent of integration of schools and other public facilities.   As Attorney General of Georgia and in accordance with the prevailing policy of the state, Cook joined other attorneys general of the southern states in opposition to the position of the court in the landmark case of Brown vs. the Board of Education.  In 1957, he ruled that President Eisenhower’s use of Federal troops in integrating Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas was constitutionally void.  His opinion led to a resolution of the Georgia legislature condemning the act.    In the early 1960s, Cook engaged in a pivotal ruling in representing the State of Georgia against the rights of black students to integrate the University of Georgia.

In addition to his service to the state, Gene Cook was an active member of the Lions Clubs of Georgia, serving as a District Governor of District 18-B from 1939 to 1940.  He was also a leader in the Boy Scouts.  A member of the Baptist Church, he served on the Board of Directors of his alma mater, Mercer University, as well as Brewton Parker University near his hometown.   Cook was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention on three occasions and never lost a political contest.  He was appointed as an honorary citizen of Texas, Mayor of San Antonio and a Kentucky Colonel.  In 1954, Cook served as president of the National Association of Attorneys General of the United States.

In one of his last most notable acts as Attorney General, Cook sided with most states in opposing the Federal court’s decision to provide, at  state expense, funds for indigent defendants in the 1963 case of Gideon vs. Wainwright.

On June 14, 1965, Cook, the dean of the nation’s state attorneys general, was appointed to a vacancy on the Bench of the Supreme Court of Georgia by Gov. Carl Sanders.  On the day of his swearing in, Cook began hearing cases vital to the people and government of Georgia.  Upon taking office, Cook became the first Johnson and Laurens Countian to hold the office of Attorney General and the Supreme Court of Georgia.  Eugene Cook was the last of only six Georgians to hold both positions. Cook succeeded Justice Grady Head, whom he also succeeded as Attorney General.

Among his appointments as Assistant Attorneys General were Marmaduke Hardeman Blackshear of Dublin and Rubye Jackson of Brewton.    Jackson was the first female to serve as an Assistant Attorney General.

Just two days after his 63rd birthday in 1967, Justice Cook, despondent over the loneliness following the death of his wife a few months earlier, ended his life with a self inflicted gun shot wounds.  His birthday presents were found nearby.  He was eulogized by his friends and former political foes as a great public servant of Georgia.

Gov. Carl Sanders told reporters, “Gene Cook was one of the finest, most able and dedicated public servants that I have ever known.  He was one of the kindest and finest men I knew.”  Eugene Cook was buried in Westview Cemetery in Atlanta. 

Saturday, March 26, 2016


The Founder of Alpha Delta Pi

   Eugenia Tucker grew up in a world of wealth and privilege, surrounded by people who had to struggle just to get by.  Her father, a wealthy planter, sent her to Wesleyan College in Macon, where she could obtain the finest education a fine young lady could receive.  While at Wesleyan, Eugenia and a small group of school girls founded the Adelphean Society, the first society or sorority for college women in the United States, on May 15, 1851   The Adelphean Society evolved into Alpha Delta Pi, the oldest women's sorority in the world.

     Eugenia was born January 29, 1834 in the Buckeye District of Laurens County. Her father, Dr. Nathan Tucker, was a Rhode Island native who came to Laurens County in the 1820s to set up what later became a widespread and lucrative medical practice.  Dr. Tucker, amassed one of the largest plantations in Laurens County.  His home, Buena Vista, was located at the northeast corner of the Buckeye Road and Jackson Lake Road, formerly known as the Wrightsville and Oconee Road. Dr. Tucker, one of  the largest slave owners in the county, was known far and wide for his compassion for his slaves.  As a delegate to the Secession Convention of 1861, Dr. Tucker voted "no" on the issue of leaving the Union.  During the war, he forbade Gen. Samuel Wray Ferguson's Mississippi Cavalry, who was on picket duty between Sherman and Andersonville, from camping on his plantation.

     Laurens County's school system in the 1840s was less than sufficient, especially for the upper class children of the county's wealthy planters.  Dr. Tucker, who surprisingly had no college education, wanted the best possible education for his five children, four girls and one boy, Lucien Quincy Tucker.   Dr. Tucker employed governesses from the North to help him in raising his family. His wife, Elmira Horn Tucker, died at a young age.  One governess, because of her radical abolitionist ideas, caused such a stir with the house servants that she was promptly dismissed and sent home.  The library of the thirteen - room Tucker home  was lined with shelves filled with all of the classical literature of the day.  Dr. Tucker subscribed to the best magazines and once a year shipped them off to Philadelphia for binding.  Lucien and Eugenia were sent to closest private academy  at Midway, near Milledgeville.   Eugenia and her brother completed their courses at the academy. Lucien was sent to Princeton University to complete his formal education.
     A daughter of a neighbor returned from Macon with stories of how wonderful Wesleyan was.  Eugenia had never seen much of the world.  Dublin, fourteen miles away, was a lifeless and decaying town.  Midway was a little better, not far from the capital city of Milledgeville.  Eugenia, like her father, was a lover of books. Eugenia dreamed of going to college.  Finally, Dr. Tucker consented and summoned Hector and Paris, two of his most trusted servants, to fetch his  finest black horses and hitch them  to the big carriage.  Uncle Peter, another of Dr. Tucker's oldest and most faithful servants, took Eugenia on the fourteen-mile ride up the Oconee Road to Oconee Station on the Central of Georgia Railroad.  From Oconee, Eugenia boarded the west bound train for Macon.  It was a new world with strange faces all around her.  Eugenia lips quivered.  Her heart beat raced.  The dreaded entrance examination was upon her.   Naturally,  she passed the test and entered the Junior class at Wesleyan, which in 1836 became the world's  first college established exclusively for women.

     The girls began their days with a 6:30 a.m. prayer, followed by a series of two-hour recitations.  Their day ended with a 7:00 p.m. supper.  Bed time was 10:30.  Upon meeting other members of her junior class, Eugenia found that "they were more of mischievous enjoyment than their lessons."   She decided that what Wesleyan needed was a women's society, one that "would influence her friends to
join her in forming an association for their advancement."  Nineteen young girls (Eugenia was only seventeen) gathered on  May 15, 1851.  Prof. Edward A. Meyers, an English professor at the college, suggested that the group call themselves, "The Adelphean Society."   The word "Adelphean" was derived from the Greek word meaning "sister."  Eugenia was elected as President of the society.

     Along with Eugenia, five of her closest friends are considered the original founders.  The girls were mostly from influential families in the state.  Ella Pierce was a daughter of Bishop George F. Pierce, the college's first president. Octavia Andrew, who entered Wesleyan at the age of thirteen, was a daughter of a Bishop James O.  Andrew. Other founding members were Mary Evans, daughter of a Methodist minister in Macon, Elizabeth Williams, and Sophronia Woodruff.

     Eugenia graduated as valedictorian of her Wesleyan Senior Class of 1852.   In an elegant ceremony in the Tucker home on December 4, 1861, Eugenia joined hands in marriage with  Judge Arthur Erwin Cochran, formerly of Wilkinson County  but then a resident of Glynn County.

     Judge Cochran was one of the most brilliant lawyers in the state.  He was a member of the Georgia legislature and a member of the Secession Convention, where he, like his future father in law, supported remaining  in the Union.  Cochran,  the first judge of the Brunswick Superior Court Circuit,  recognized the need for better railroads.  He resigned from the bench and was named the first president of the Macon and Brunswick Railroad.  The town of Cochran, Georgia is named in his honor.    Judge Cochran, a widower, had one son, Arthur Emmett Cochran, whom Eugenia raised as her own.   The younger Cochran, represented Pierce County in the Georgia legislature at the tender age of twenty one and later established a successful practice in San Diego, California.   Eugenia returned to Macon to live with her new family.  Following Judge Cochran's death in 1865, Eugenia, who was bequeathed a substantial fortune, toured with friends in Europe, places she had read about in her father's library.  After eight years of widowhood, Eugenia married Dr. Edmund Fitzgerald, of Macon, who was also a widower, with a beautiful young daughter.  Eugenia wrote in her memoir,

   "Nothing in my life give me more sincere pleasure than to see her occasionally and to feel that she regards me as her mother."  Following Dr. Fitzgerald's death in 1887, Eugenia moved to Washington, D.C. to live with her step daughter and her new husband, a civil engineer Captain A.F. Lucas.  Eugenia outlived most of her relatives.  Her sister, Ella, married Col. John M. Stubbs of Dublin, but who, like many young women of her time, died too young.   Her brother Luicien served with honor as a Captain in the 57th Georgia infantry during the War Between the States.

     The Adelphean Society became Alpha Delta Phi in 1905.  Nine years later, the name was changed to Alpha Delta Pi, to avoid confusion with a men's fraternity.  That same year, Wesleyan officials abolished all sororities at the school.  Eugenia remained active in the alumni association of Alpha Delta Pi, whose motto was originally,  "We live for each other."   She was affectionately known by generations of sorority members who succeeded her as "Mother Fitzgerald."  

   Suddenly, on 10th day of December in 1928, Eugenia died in her sleep in Fort Worth, Texas, where she had been living the last eighteen years with her niece Roberta Andrew Flournoy.  She was buried in Oakwood Cemetery. In August of 1933, her body was disinterred and brought back to her second hometown of Macon. She was buried beside Dr. Fitzgerald.   At the age of ninety four, Eugenia had been the oldest alumni of Alpha Delta Pi and Wesleyan College.  She was the last survivor of those six young girls, who one hundred and fifty years ago today, founded the first and the oldest women's sorority in the United States.


Tuesday, March 22, 2016

1929 Dublin Parade - Images of Our Past

1929 Parade, Daughters of the American Revolution
Left to Right - Lester Porter, Dorothy Smith, George Thompson, unknown.


A Case of Untenable Uxoricide

You may ask yourself, Why write an article on East Central Georgia with a headline like this?”   Fifty six years ago this week, a former Dublin woman was murdered and brutally dismembered by her estranged full- time employer and part- time lover.  The untenable uxoricide, described as the most fiendish murder  in the history of Baltimore, made headlines throughout the nation. While all too many such murderers are still haunting our country,   it is important to note that in the last few years before World War II murder was much more common than it is today. Warning! The faint of heart should stop reading now.

Evelyn Byrd New Rice, a former wife of William Brooks Rice, Sr. of Dublin, was a pretty, petite, auburn-haired, brown-eyed mother of two.  Following the couple’s divorce, her husband was awarded custody of their children, Brooks and Jack.  She was last seen in Dublin in January 1938.  Mrs. Rice was married to Robert Finney for several years before the couple parted while Finney was stationed at Fort Screven at Tybee Island.    Mrs. Finney changed her name back to Evelyn Rice and moved to Baltimore to find work. Though she never saw Finney again, Evelyn remained in contact with Rice and her two sons.

Evelyn Byrd New Rice began working as a mind reader and finally  as a bar maid in the East Baltimore bar of Italian immigrant Marcus “Marco” Aurelio Tarquinio.  Tarquinio immigrated to America and joined the Army Corps of Engineers in World War I.    He worked as a tong runner in the Sparrows Point plant of Bethlehem Steel.  In 1937, he opened a bar.  Marco invited Evelyn to move in with him and keep his house.  The couple argued bitterly and regularly.  A neighbor, Mrs. Nizidek urged Evelyn to leave town and return to Georgia to be closer to her children.   In the months before her death, Evelyn wrote Brooks that she was afraid of Marco.

The conflicts between Evelyn and Marco occurred more frequently and became even more vehement.  Marco began to lock Evelyn in a room before leaving the house.  Around midnight of April 14, 1939, the couple got into one of a series of bitter arguments.  Neighbor Frank Peterson heard the fussing from his next door house.  Peterson later told police that they argued for about two hours.  “I heard Evelyn scream and then she stopped.   I didn’t hear anymore so I went to sleep.” Peterson said.  A few days later Peterson asked Marco about Evelyn’s whereabouts. Marco said, “Evelyn’s gone again.”  Peterson responded, “Where?”  “Aw, she‘s got plenty of friends, and she’s been all over eighteen states,” Marco declared.

It was almost dark the following night  when nine-year-old Nicholas Kemper climbed down into a Lombard Street sewer to retrieve his rubber ball.  As he was scanning the floor of the dark and filthy sewer, Nicholas noticed a bundle of newspapers.  Upon a closer examination, the boy discovered a hand protruding from the comic section.   “It’s a hand down here!  It’s a hand,” exclaimed Nicholas.
The grocer on the corner heard the boy’s screams and summoned the police. Patrolman Paulk climbed down into the hole and found a second bundle, this one containing one of Evelyn’s lower legs.   An all out search was instituted in the sewers about a block from the Tarquinio home.  Throngs of curiosity seekers and volunteer searchers swarmed the site at the intersection of Lombard and Chapel Streets.  Joe Wosk and Jack Bernsein found a right foot and the other lower leg in a sewer a block away.     Searchers found her internal organs carefully wrapped in recent newspapers as if they had just been purchased from the local meat market.  Evelyn’s blood stained lounging pajamas were discovered in  yet another location the following day. Two days after that, an arm was found cater-cornered from the site of the initial gruesome discovery.  A hospital worker found two-thirds of her torso in a dump next to the Baltimore city hospital.   In the case dubbed “The Torso Murder,” police found the victim of the crime before they knew that she was missing from her home.

A couple of days later,   Marco went to the East Baltimore police precinct to report  Evelyn’s disappearance.   Suspicious of Marco’s culpability in the matter, the police chief sent a couple of men to shadow the barkeeper.   At first, the police conducted a vigorous investigation, but the search soon waned after hundreds of tips from a horde of drunks, eccentrics and amateur sleuths failed to lead police to any clues as to Evelyn’s location.

The Baltimore police arrested Tarquinio on suspicion of murder.    The suspect was interrogated for more than six hours before he confessed to the heinous murder.  Tarquinio told police that the couple had argued mostly over her drinking and other men as they always did.  He admitted that in the heat of the moment he struck Evelyn and that she fell down the stairs into the basement to her death.  The
police conducted a search and surmised that Tarquinio panicked and took Evelyn’s body down into the basement, where he methodically  dissected it and scattered her remains throughout the neighborhood sewers.  The most damning and readily identifiable evidence against Tarquinio was discovered just outside the basement door in a small back yard garden.  Eighteen inches below a  bed of newly blooming tulips and beneath a slab of concrete was the head of the former Peach Festival beauty queen.   The walls of the Tarquinio back yard were lined with onlookers hoping to get a glance of yet another decaying part of Evelyn’s body.  Peering over the fence, Frank Peterson watched police as they excavated Evelyn’s head from the flower bed.  He cried out, “That’s Evelyn.”    Buried beside the tulip bulbs were her two upper arms, two upper thighs and the remainder of her torso.  When police presented the suspect with a typed summary of his confession, he recanted his story and denied any knowledge of the details of his former lover’s murder.  Police gathered Evelyn’s remains in a tub and presented them to Marco.  When questioned as to identity of the mutilated corpse, he responded, “That’s Evelyn, Evelyn Rice.”

Tarquinio was indicted, tried and convicted of the murder of Evelyn Rice.  The State of Maryland demanded the death penalty, but the court sentenced him to life in prison.  For some inexplicable reason, the convicted wife killer was paroled after serving only fifteen years in prison.   He vanished from the community, but according to the terms of parole, he remained in contact with his parole officer, who found him to be a gentle man who adhered to the terms of his parole.

Evelyn’s body was cremated and her ashes were buried in the family plot in Americus.  Her right hand was never found.

Sunday, March 20, 2016


The 210 W. Jackson Street Store of R.L. and "Gritsy" Stephens was opened in 1945.
The store featured modern architecture and the newest national fashions of the day.

Friday, March 18, 2016


Forty years ago, country music legend Brenda Lee
performed at the Dublin Jr. High School Auditorium 
as a part of the 11th St. Patrick's Festival. 

Thursday, March 17, 2016


Pictured is Bill Rogers, who ran in several St. Patrick's Road Races.  Rogers, who was was the American record holder in the marathon won four Boston Marathon races,  including three straight 1978-1980, and the four consecutive New York City marathons from 1976 to 1980.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016


These photos for rescued from the lobby of the Dublin High School Auditorium by Scott B. Thompson, Sr. 

They represent the first six years of Dublin High School's Thespian Troupe 669 directed by R. Lynn Woody.  The Dublin High troupe was recognized across the state and the nation as one of the best.