Presented by the Laurens County Historical Society, Dublin, Georgia. For questions and information, please contact Scott B. Thompson, Sr. at dublinhistory@yahoo.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - DUBLIN DISTRICT METHODIST CHURCH SUPERINTENDENT'S RESIDENCE - WEST GAINES STREET, DUBLIN, GEORGIA

This two-story home was used in the early and middle of the 20th Century as the residence for the District Superintendent of the Dublin District of  the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The house was razed about 1966 to make room for the expansion of the First United Methodist Church to the northeast. 



Sunday, March 26, 2017

AND SO GO THE GALLANT - MARCH 1942



During the fourth full month of World War II, the war on the home\front in Laurens County continued in full force.  Overseas  the war in the Far East was just beginning to heat up while in Europe, the United States had yet to commit large forces into battle.

Among the first Laurens County service men to reach the war zone, except those who found themselves in battle in December 1941, were Lt. James Graves, who reached Australia in mid-March.  Leo Kight, of Lovett, Georgia, joined Graves in Australia along with Sgt. Luther Word, Jr.

At the top of most Laurens Countians minds was the effort to establish a Naval advanced training base in Dublin.  The effort was led by the powerful Congressman Carl Vinson of Millegeville, who was chairman of the Naval Armed Services Committee in the  House of Representatives.  Locally, Dublin-Laurens Chamber of Commerce President, Wilbur S. Jones built a legion of supporters.

The Dublin site was high on the list of possible sites, behind an expanded base in Atlanta and a new base in Montezuma,  but when cost estimates of $11,000,000.00 were released, the Dublin project was dropped.

Conservation was the watchword on the minds of Laurens Countains.  At the end of  March, all service stations in the county curtailed their hours to close on Sundays and open  on other days from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m..

L.L. Howell, chairman of the Laurens U.S.D.A. War Board and Harry A. Edge, County Agent, led the effort to educate school children on the need for collecting scrap materials for the war effort.   On March 7, designated as “McArthur Day,” a statewide effort to collect scrap took place around the county.

P.M. Watson & Co., the county’s largest scrap dealer, called on all patriotic citizens to collect iron, metals, rags, paper and rubber by saying, “Certainly every citizen, young and old, will rally to a call for waste materials, things we would naturally throw away if the government needs them and a market is right here at their door.”

In the first two months, more than 2,366,400 pounds of scrap metals were delivered to Watson, who shipped it out to foundries in Alabama for melting.  A reporter for the Laurens Citizen observed about 5o tons of plow parts and 55 tons of stove parts piled in the Watson scrap yard.

In early March, the staff of the Laurens County Defense Corps was fully staffed with O.F. Ludwig as the new air raid warden for Dublin, along with T.C. Keen as comptroller, M.A. Rogers personnel officer, T. Coke Brown as property officer, and J.A. Middleton, as billeting officer.

The chiefs of staff were: Martin Willis (Chief of Fire Fighters,) Dublin Police Chief J.W. Roberston (Chief of Police Workers,) W.P. Tindol (Chief of Air Raid Wardens,) Dr. R.G. Farrell, Jr. (Chief of Emergency Medical Services,) and E.B. Mackey (Chief of Public Works and Utilities.)  Dublin attorney Eugene Cook, who would later go to serve as Georgia’s Attorney General and a justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, was selected to service as  vice chief of air raid wardens.

Dublin Mayor Dee Sessions commented on the corps leaders by saying, “The fine  co-operation of the people as a whole is very heartening in our efforts to be prepared should disaster strike us.”

By the end of the month, more than 450 persons in the county were undergoing civilian defense training under the overall command of Freeman O’Neal.  At least 213 more  persons were waiting to begin their training.

Included in the totals were 75 men and 25 women as air raid wardens, 171 men as auxiliary firemen, 136 as auxiliary police, 5 men and 25 women as emergency medical personnel, 10 men and 1 woman as members of the local defense staff corps.  Twenty men were  about to begin training for demolition and clearing crews, while 10 women were listed for future duties in the emergency food and housing corps.

Civilian Defense officials were looking to form a central operations, other than the old post office site on East Madison Street.  Final plans were being formulated to complete the early warning system and procedures for blackouts.

“Interest in civilian defense training is exceptionally good,” said O’Neal, who was grateful for all of the persons who attended class at considerable personal sacrifice.

“It is that spirit that assures the people of this country adequate protection and service in case of emergency,” O’Neal proclaimed.

One of the most feared enemy attacks was the use of poisonous gas. A meeting was held at Saxon Heights School to plan for training volunteers as well as the public in case of  a gas attack.

A critical element of the civilian defense effort was the establishment of an ambulance corps. The 33-man, Red Cross-trained unit was headed by L.H. Holland, of Holland-Dowell Funeral home, Ralph Fountain, of Adams Funeral Home, Corporal J.A. Reynolds of the Georgia State Patrol, Delmas Knight and James Townsend of Townsend Funeral Home.

Other members of the unit were Arthur Adams, Cordie Adams, Spright Dowell, Jr., Joel Lord, Ray Bell, W.S.Drew, E.T. Brigham, Guy V. Cochran, U.S. Wynn, Viola Neal, Mrs. J.W. Robertson, Mrs. J.L. Smalley, Gertrude Pritchett, Frances Parkerson, Elizabeth Brinson, Mrs. E.T. Brigham, Mrs. Blue Holleman, Sara Orr Williams, Louise Orr Howard, Mrs. J. Marion Peacock, Mrs. Cordie Green, Mrs. Carl Gettys, Mrs. E.L. Hatcher, Mrs. Frank Hodges, Mrs. Hyrell Kendrick, Mrs. Evelyn Rawls, Mrs. Joe A. Middleton, Mrs. Gray Reese, Mrs. Guy V.  Cochran and Maybelle Stith.

Captain George T. Powers, III, son of Mr. and Mrs. George T. Powers of Dublin and a graduate of the United States Military Academy, was promoted to major and assigned as the Adjutant of the 36th Field Artillery Regiment.    Powers was elevated to the rank of Major General during his tenure as commander of Fort Bliss, Texas during the 1960s.

As the spring thaw began, the spring of 1942 would see more action and sadly the beginning of the dying. 

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - TIME REWIND - THE ESQUIRE - PENNEY'S - CORKER BUILDING - 115 WEST JACKSON STREET - DUBLIN, GEORGIA


The northwestern side of the 100 block of West Jackson Street 
prior to the beginning of the project to revamp the entire block. 
The subject building is just to the right of the center.



Ugly, faded brown stucco facade. 




Before the facade faded, but yet ugly. 








THE REMOVAL PROCESS - MARCH 2017 










PUTTING UP ON UGLY FRONT, CA. 1973 




J.C. PENNEY'S - LATE 1950S





J.C. PENNEY'S - 1936








THE CORKER BUILDING - EARLY 1900S




THE CORKER BUILDING - CA. 1900 






???????????????

WINTER 2017 ? 



Friday, March 24, 2017

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - THE END OF AN ERA - J.C. PENNEY COMPANY, Dublin, Georgia



This 1936 photograph shows the original Penney's
store, opened in 1926 in the Corker Building on 
West Jackson Street in Dublin, GA. 


This photograph shows the main mall entrance
to the Dublin Mall store which opened on August 9,
1978. 

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - SCOTTSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH, NORTH DEATUR STREET, DUBLIN, GEORGIA


SCOTTSVILLE
Baptist Church
Organized 1900
Corner Stone Laid
Nov. 22, 1908

Board of Deacons

V. R. Rozier  W.H. Hall    J.Lewis
J. Smith  A. Askew L. Labingyard 

Board of Trustees

I. Glenn   J.L. Cullens 


Rev. B.J. Parker
Pastor

Building was originally the First Baptist Church of Dublin
and moved in 1908 





Saturday, March 18, 2017

MARCH MISCELLANEA




THREE ROUTS IN ONE DAY - True routs in baseball aren’t that common, especially when the winning team scores twenty or more runs than their opponent.  The Dublin Irish baseball team, ranked first in the state for the first time in history, were stinging from their first loss of the season to local rival, the Bleckley County Royals, on the day before.

The Irish took out their frustration of their lack of hitting when they faced Laney High School at Bush Perry Field.  The Irish pushed across 10 and 13 runs in the first two innings.   Coach Chuck Beale sent in three freshmen pitchers to finish the game.  By the end of the fourth inning the Irish lead slipped to 30 to 6.  The game ended one-half inning later under the 10-run rule.

Across town, the Trinity Crusaders were hosting Bulloch Academy. In the 1st inning of the first game of the doubleheader, the Crusaders sent twenty- two batters to the plate, scoring 17 runs. Trinity won the first game 24 to 1.  The first inning of the second game was a little bit better for the Bulloch pitching staff.  The Crusaders managed only 14 runs.  The Crusaders took the night cap by the score of 21 to 0.    In the two games, Trinity had 34 hits while over 30 batters were walked.  Kevin Williams went 7 for 7 with a double and triple in the first inning of the first game.  Trinity pitchers limited Bulloch Academy to only 2 hits and one runs in the double header.  

They say good things come in threes and on this March day when the local teams won 30-6, 24-1, and 21-0 for a combined score of 75-7.  Dublin Courier Herald, March 17, 1999.


THE LAURENS COUNTY DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS  - During the late 1930s and early 1940s, Laurens County school children organized a county-wide marching band under the leadership of County School Superintendent Elbert Mullis and band leader, A.R. Morris.  The band performed in parades and festivals all over the state.  The band members had the thrill of a lifetime when they were invited by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to perform for him at his home in Warm Springs, Georgia.  The band performed as the 4-H Club Band and wore the national 4-H colors.  Since more of its members belonged to the 4-H Club than any other organization, the Laurens County kids were designated as Georgia’s 4-H Club band.  After the band returned from Warm Springs, they had no chance to rest.  The next day they traveled to the other end of the state and performed in the Coastal Empire Paper Festival in Savannah.  Dublin Courier Herald, March 28, 1940.

WORLD CHAMPION BILLIARD PLAYER COMES TO TOWN - Willie Mosconi, 15-time world champion billiard player, put on two  exhibitions of his unparalleled billiard playing ability  in Dublin  at Rudy’s Rack and Cue on March 6, 1971.  The event was held at the Rudy’s location at 710 N. Jefferson Street, which opened on July 18, 1970.  Mosconi held the world record for running 526 balls off the table without missing a shot. Mosconi’s appearance was his second time in Dublin, the first coming on February 18, 1959 at the Sure Shot Billiard Parlor.  Dublin Courier Herald, March 2, 8  1971.









A GREAT DAY AT THE COUNTRY CLUB - For the most part, golf, at the Dublin Country Club, is mostly played by men.  But on March 4,  1965, two legendary lady golfers, Kathy Whitworth and Carol Mann, put on a golf clinic at the club.  The ladies were on a national tour sponsored by Wilson Sporting Goods.  Following the luncheon and clinic, Whitworth and Mann played a nine-hole exhibition round against Jeanelle Lovett and Mary Birdsong of the Dublin Ladies Golf Association.

             Mann, a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame,  joined the LPGA Tour in 1961 and won two major championships and 38 LPGA Tour events in all.








        Whitworth  won 88 LPGA Tour tournaments, more than any other member of the women’s golf assocation.  Also a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame, Whitworth was the first woman to earn a million dollars in winnings on the LPGA tour.  Dublin Courier Herald, March 1, 5, 1965, p. 4.


FIRST TO FIGHT - Robert Frank Rozar enlisted on March 4, 1862, in the Laurens Volunteers in the Confederate Army.  Captain James T. Chappell appointed Rozar as the 4th Corporal of the company.  What Captain Chappell didn't realize was that Corporal Rozar was only 15 years old. Roster of Confederate Soldiers, Vol. V, p. 254.

J.E. Cullen, a resident of Laurens County, around the turn of this century, enlisted in Co. E, "Washington Rifles,"  of the 1st Georgia Infantry on March 18, 1861.  Thus making him the first Laurens Countian to enlist in the Confederate Army, although at the time he was a resident of Washington County. Roster of Confederate Soldiers, Vol. 1, page 257.

FIRST WOMAN COMMISSIONER - On March 4, 1968, Lela Pope Warnock was named the first and only woman county commissioner of Laurens County.  Mrs. Warnock served the balance of the term of her husband Dewey Warnock, who died on February 23, 1968.   Mrs. Warnock was a retired seamstress for J.P. Stevens and Company.  She died on April 4, 1992.   Mr. Warnock operated a country store on the Soperton Highway at its intersection with a road which was renamed in his memory in 1968. Mrs. Warnock chose not to run for election in 1968 and was replaced by Robert Beacham.   Dublin Courier Herald, 3/5/1968, p. 1.

FLEET FOOTED GOLFER - Jimmy Orr, star receiver of the University of Georgia and the Baltimore Colts, finished in a second place tie with Fred Wagner with a 36-hole score of (85-82-137) in the fifth flight of the annual St. Patrick's Golf Tournament at the Dublin Country Club in 1972.  David Potts, of Macon, won the tournament with a combined score of 140, followed by Dee Smalley, of Dublin, who finished 1 stroke behind.  Orr was invited to Dublin by his good friend, “Brother” Claxton, a Dublin car dealer.   Jimmy Orr was an outstanding offensive star for the Georgia Bulldogs in the 1950s.  In 1958, he was selected as the NFL Rookie of the Year.

After three seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Orr was traded to the Baltimore Colts, where under the passing prowess of Johnny Unitas, he became a formidable wide receiver.  Orr, a two-time Pro Bowl selection,  played in Super Bowls III and V with the Colts.  Dublin Courier Herald, March 30, 1972, p. 9.

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - CASSIE YATES - ST. PATRICK'S PARADE - 1966


This picture from the first St. Patrick's parade shows Cassie Yates was born in  Macon, Georgia, and grew up in Dublin.  Her most high-profile role was probably in Dynasty as Sarah Curtis. Cassie also appeared in the 1981 tv movie version of John Steinbeck's, "Of Mice and Men, as Curley's wife – opposite  Robert Blake as George, and Randy Quaid as Lennie. . She appeared in various television series, including McMillan & WifeRich Man, Poor Man Book IIThe Bionic WomanThe Streets of San FranciscoBarnaby Jones, Quincy, M.E.Vega$Simon & SimonMagnum, P.I.HotelCagney & LaceyThirtysomething and Murder, She Wrote.
In 1978, she starred as Laura Coe, a Los Angeles disc jockey, in the movie FM. She also played roles in two films directed by Sam PeckinpahConvoy (1978), and The Osterman Weekend (1983). Her other film credits include Rolling Thunder (1977), F.I.S.T. (1978), The Evil (1978), St. Helens (1981) and Unfaithfully Yours (1984).

Info from Wikipedia. 

Friday, March 17, 2017

IMAGES OF OUR PAST - THE 1966 SAINT PATRICK'S FESTIVAL PARADE - BY: IRENE CLAXTON

These rare photographs, taken  by Irene Claxton, are the only 
known color photographs of the first Saint Patrick's 
Festival Parade in 1966. Miss Claxton's photographs
were donated to the Laurens County Historical 
Society by her family. 






Left - Dina Moorman






Young Girls - near Center- Left - Lee Ann Vaughn Evans, Renie Cordell


















 Bottom Row: Ellen Williams, Gordon Cartee, ---, ----, ----, ----
Second Row: Martha Ann Garbutt,   Cartee, ----, Ashley Towson
Third Row: Pam Holmes, Kenneth Taylor, Katrina Robinson Waters, ----. ----. -----, ------, Billy Towson,  between these two is the back of Scott Thompson's head, Trip Lamb?